Widget By Devils Workshop

Re: [PanicZone] ANXIETY

 

good points

________________________________
From: LAURA RICCI <LRicci@cfl.rr.com>
To: PanicZone@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2012 10:04:12 AM
Subject: Re: [PanicZone] ANXIETY


 
Sorry, but I totally disagree that panic attacks/anxiety attacks are
due to one not being able to relax - at least not the kind of panic/
anxiety that those of us on this list suffer from.

In a perfect world, some bit of anxiety is actually a healthy thing -
it's what has helped our species survive. And yes, we've all had
"butterflies" in our stomach when having to do things such as public
speaking, trying something brand new, going on a job interview, etc.
And yes for these, relaxation techniques can be helpful in taking the
edge off and allowing one to complete the task at hand.

There is a biochemical mechanism for panic/anxiety attacks and for
most people this mechanism is properly controlled by the brain and
never allowed to go into "overdrive" or even occur "out of the blue"
for no apparent reason. However for some individuals (such as myself
and others on this list), the biochemistry of our brain is different.
For some reasons our brains do not know when to put the brakes on the
feelings of panic/anxiety and there is a disruption in the firing of
our synapses allowing for the release of certain neurotransmitters and
the inhibition of others thus bringing on anxiety/panic attacks that
happen "out of the blue."

Panic/anxiety disorder is a true disease of the brain and to tell
someone with this condition to just relax is a slap in the face to
those of us suffering from this. There is enough stigma as it is about
mental illness - really should be renamed brain illness. I have been
battling panic/anxiety attacks for over 30 years and have been on
alprazolam since 1984. If it was as easy as relaxing, I wouldn't need
medication. What literally saved my life was being placed on
alprazolam and I am one of the fortunate ones that alprazolam works
for me and I've been on the same dosage since I started taking it and
unless I told you I suffered from anxiety/panic attacks you would
never know I suffer from them. Now I'm not "cured" by any means and I
still have occasional break-though attacks and I still avoid elevators
at all costs and am petrified of flying and the longest I've ever been
able to drive from my house has been 8 hours, but without alprazolam
I'd be much worse off. No amount of "relaxation" will help me overcome
my panic/anxiety attacks. What does help is being on medication that
"normalizes" my brain which allows me to function.

I am a true believer that panic/anxiety disorder has a genetic
component to it and the more research there is done on mental (brain)
illnesses show that to be true for quite a few. In other words, we are
born with this. My first panic attack happened to me while I was
sitting in class in fifth grade. The attack literally came out of the
blue and I didn't have another until a few months later and then they
just started coming on a more frequent basis until they were non-stop.
I don't recall being under a lot of stress as a 10 year old such that
I needed to relax.

Laura Ricci

On May 17, 2012, at 10:04 PM, Giorgio Spaguetti wrote:

> Well its not a matter of knowing how to relax.
> Our society now dayss wont aloud to relax specially if you
> lose your job and your insurance
>
> ________________________________
> From: Rubee <rubee99@yahoo.com>
> To: PanicZone@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:11 PM
> Subject: Re: [PanicZone] ANXIETY
>
>
>
> Anxiety and panic disorder can be different for different people,
> which is why it can be so misunderstood. Our reasons for getting
> this disorder, and the symptoms each person gets can also be quite
> varying. But I don't think you can go wrong with trying yoga,
> relaxation techniques and even hypnosis to try and alleviate the
> symptoms.
>
> As far as the canaibis use, there are studies that it's use CAN
> cause anxiety in itself. Especially if you'd been using in recent
> years, as the cannabis is much more potent than it has ever been and
> can be the cause of anxiety in users.
>
> But yeah, I'd try relaxation techniques. I think that one of the
> reasons many of us get an anxiety disorder is because we just don't
> know how to relax.
>
> Good luck to you.
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
The only thing that can happen when I
have a panic attack is that it will pass
whether it passes quickly or slowly
depends whether I drop the idea of it
being dangerous or not.
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Widget By Devils Workshop