Widget By Devils Workshop

Re: [PanicZone] Calm Your fears

 

Hi Evelyn,
I've had panic disorder before. I wanted to go to school also to not have to work in an office. I wanted to do MRI's. I was wondering about vocational rehab paying any of that or all of it as I only draw disability. First I have to take care of some problems I have.
Do you know, or anyone on the group.
Debbie

________________________________
From: EVELYN V <evequilmes@hotmail.com>
To: "sandyrey75@aim.com" <sandyrey75@aim.com>; "PanicZone@yahoogroups.com" <PanicZone@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tue, April 27, 2010 9:50:44 PM
Subject: Re: [PanicZone] Calm Your fears

I go to school online and they offer nursing degrees there, go to waldenu.edu

Thanks
Evelyn
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

-----Original Message-----
From: sandyrey75@aim.com
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 23:13:20
To: <PanicZone@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [PanicZone] Calm Your fears

 

I know how you feel. Just remember 'Strong" mint gum or even Altiods. When i get chilled my attacks seem to subside also. I've sat out on my front porch in the middle of winter w/snow on the ground in shorts and a tanktop...LOL!! They say that any life changing event can trigger anxiety to start, be it good or bad. Mine started 4 mos after my daughter was born. Maybe that last year of Nursing school was yours..... Exercise and diet do help. I notice the more active I am the less I have anxiety issues. I don't think it is so much what you eat, but that you are eating enough. I didn't eat much for years, I'm talking very very little (less than 1000 calories a day). One small meal a day and countless bottles of water. I started a new job like 5 yrs ago and worked soley w/middle aged men and older. They were so sweet, they would always bring me in little treats in the morning. Sometimes is was a muffin, or a piece of fruit but every single morning there was
something for me to eat at my desk... guess they though i was too skinny. I felt obligated to eat what they brought. I eventually started wanting lunch which i never did before and then that progressed to dinner and snacks in between. I couldn't believe how much better I felt!! Sounds to me like your job must be one of your "safe places". Mine is for me, otherwise I wouldn't be working. I rarley have any problems there and if I do it is so minor it's like it never happened. Don' t let your panic attacks stand in your way of becoming a nurse. Start back slow, go part time or if there are any classes you can take online try that. Meet your instructor before you start your classes. If you feel comfortable around them maybe it'll be easier, be upfront about your anxiety issues w/them. I would assume a nursing instructor would be understanding and try to make you feel as comfortable as possible while in class. Hang in there....

I requested you as a friend on Yahoo IM if you ever feel like chatting.

Sandy

-----Original Message-----
From: jennifer lundy <jenn8488@yahoo.com <mailto:jenn8488%40yahoo.com> >
To: PanicZone@yahoogroups.com <mailto:PanicZone%40yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tue, Apr 27, 2010 1:18 pm
Subject: Re: [PanicZone] Calm Your fears

Hi Sandy! Thanks so much for your tips. I haven't even thought about the minty gum but when I feel one coming on while I am driving the AC is cranked wide open! I don't know why but for some reason when I get chilly or cold my panic attacks seem to subside, so if it works I am not going to question it! I have been dealing with this for approximately a year now and I have just recently started doing more research on how exercise, yoga, and diet change can help! I am willing to try anything! I am not sure what exactly brought my panic attacks on but when I started having them I was getting ready to start my last year in nursing school, was working 1 full time job, and 2 part time jobs and just one day I had a panic attack and it absolutely terrified me!!! So much so that the next day I called school and dropped all of my classes, of course making up reasons because I didn't want everything thinking that I was crazy (which is what I
thought at the time), I quit 2 jobs and the full time job I kept but called in sick for 2 weeks straight because I was terrified to leave the house! I am currently still working 1 full time job and I don't get anxious or have panic attacks here while at work very often! However I do want to go back to school SOON! I want to make a career as a nurse but feel like the obstacle of panic attacks may cause me to not pursue my dream!
Another thing is I always keep a drink close by! When I have a panic attack I will have the feeling that I am going to faint so I immediately grab for something to drink thinking if I get my blood sugar back up then the panic attack will go away, unfortunately it doesn't really work but it helps me just to think that it does.

Sincerely,
>Jennifer Lundy

________________________________
From: "sandyrey75@aim.com <mailto:sandyrey75%40aim.com> " <sandyrey75@aim.com <mailto:sandyrey75%40aim.com> >
To: PanicZone@yahoogroups.com <mailto:PanicZone%40yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Mon, April 26, 2010 11:01:34 PM
Subject: Re: [PanicZone] Calm Your fears

Hi Jennifer,

I have had panic disorder w/agoraphobia for 15 yrs. I too have them while driving which I haven't been able to do successfully for the entire time, but don't let that get you down, as you said everyone is different. I also have issues going into stores, standing in line gets me the worst. When I am in stores, I find that not looking straight out in front of me helps. I usually keep my eyes on the floor way out in front of me, enough to keep me from crashing into someone...LOL! I can still see where I am going but not seeing the hoards of people or the enormous size of the store all at once seems to keep my anxiety levels down. When I am standing in line I keep myself busy sorting things in my cart or looking at the things on the shelves, just keep my mind busy. It's easier to handle at home or work when I start to feel the symptoms come on. I've gotten pretty good at rationalizing my physical symptoms. Like if I have just been working in the yard and I'm
a little flush or out of breath, those are also symptoms I have during an anxiety attack, because of that they'll cause an attack. So I just keep telling myself over and over the only reason I am feeling these symptoms is because I was just working out in the yard, I'm going to be ok, and before you know it the symptoms start to subside. I do have a couple of "security blankets" I keep w/me at all times. Strong minty gum, like dentine ice, and a bottle of water. When I start to have my symptom of not getting enough air (when in reality I am getting plenty) I pop a piece of gum. The strong minty kind works best because you can really feel the air when you breath in. The water has multiple purposes. I use it to drink and I'll pour it in my hands and splash on my face and neck when an attack starts. It helps to cool me down because I tend to get really hot when I have an attack. Slow deep breaths help quite a bit too.

How long have you been dealing this??

Congrats on your shopping trip! Keep that close to the front of your mind. It'll help the next time.

Sandy

-----Original Message-----
From: jenniferl <jenn8488@yahoo. com>
To: PanicZone@yahoogrou ps.com
Sent: Mon, Apr 26, 2010 12:04 pm
Subject: [PanicZone] Calm Your fears

So I would like to ask for others to share what helps them when they are experiencing a panic attack and what helps to relieve their fears. I know that everyone is different but I am just trying to get a few pointers. My main problem is that I have panic attacks while driving and also while in a store if by myself, although yesterday I managed to do all of my grocery shopping by myself with NO panic attacks just a small amount of anxiety :)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

The only thing that can happen when I
have a panic attack is that it will pass
whether it passes quickly or slowly
depends whether I drop the idea of it
being dangerous or not.Yahoo! Groups Links

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
The only thing that can happen when I
have a panic attack is that it will pass
whether it passes quickly or slowly
depends whether I drop the idea of it
being dangerous or not.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Welcome to Mom Connection! Share stories, news and more with moms like you.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Widget By Devils Workshop